Sunday, March 21

No running in the street

Sometimes, we take Loki outside without her leash. It usually on a short trip, like to the mailbox, or out to the car to get something, etc.

Most times, it's not a mistake.

Today, it was.

Loki has the stealth of an eager toddler when it comes to getting away from me quickly.

I have to keep an eye on her so she doesn't pull stunts like she did today - running straight out into the street.

We went out for our usual quick trip to the mailbox, but as soon as I opened the door, she was outside, down the steps and then in the street.

I yelled her command, "COME!!!" She ignored me.

Enter the minivan, which is driving down our street slowly and notices my dog in the street.

Loki looks up, sees the car and decides being in the middle of the street is no longer the coolest thing to do. She trots back up to the sidewalk and sits down politely next to me.

The minivan's driver makes sure to give me a "terrible pet owner" look before speeding off to cause traffic troubles somewhere. I almost expected him to wag a finger at me and say I was being a bad puppy parent.

I look down at Loki, who is looking up at me with the innocent puppy look as if to say, "What's wrong, mommy?"

She knows she's not supposed to go into the street. We've been over this one more than a few times.

We head for the backyard and an area with more grass than streets and no minivans.

No comments:

Post a Comment